The winners of the Iberian Lawyer 40 under Forty awards were announced at a ceremony at the Pestana Palace Hotel in Lisbon last night.
The winners of the two “Outstanding Achievement Awards” were:
- Linklaters’ Gonzalo Sánchez del Cura
- Joaquín Guallar Pérez of Grupo Catalana Occidente.
Meanwhile, there were two winners of the Fundación Aranzadi Lex Nova: Award for Outstanding Social Contribution:
- Israel García Rico of Garrigues
- Indra Sistemas’ Luís Graça Rodrigues.
The remaining 40 under Forty award winners (in alphabetical order) were as follows:
- Abraham Franco, British American Tobacco
- Abraham Nájera, CMS Albiñana & Suárez de Lezo
- Alfonso Fernández-Puebla, Gómez-Acebo & Pombo
- Ana Luís de Sousa, Vieira de Almeida
- André Figueiredo, PLMJ
- Ángel Pérez López, Uría Menéndez
- Borja Sainz de Aja, Uría Menéndez
- Carlos Pita Cao, AKD
- Carlos Gómez-Jara, Corporate Defense
- Domingos Cruz, CCA Ontier
- Eduardo Santamaría, Garrigues
- Emilio Gómez, Hogan Lovells
- Filipe Vaz Pinto, Morais Leitão, Galvão Teles, Soares da Silva
- Francisco Proença de Carvalho, Uría Menéndez-Proença de Carvalho
- Gonzalo García-Fuertes, Garrigues
- Gonzalo F. Gállego, Hogan Lovells
- Íñigo Erlaiz-Cotelo, Gómez-Acebo & Pombo
- Isaac Millán, Quirón Salud
- Iván Delgado, Pérez-Llorca
- Jacobo Martínez, Eversheds Nicea
- Javier Tortuero, Uría Menéndez
- Jimena Urretavizcaya, Allen & Overy
- Julio Lujambio, Pérez-Llorca
- León López, Cuatrecasas, Gonçalves Pereira
- Manuel Echenique, Uría Menéndez
- Manuel Vélez, Uría Menéndez
- Marcos Álvarez Almodóvar, Vueling Airlines
- Margarita Fernández, Hewlett-Packard
- Maria João Mata, PLMJ
- Nuno Moraes Bastos, Zurich Insurance
- Pablo González, Pérez-Llorca
- Patricia Saiz González, ESADE Law School
- Paulo Costa Martins, Cuatrecasas, Gonçalves Pereira
- Rafael Núñez-Lagos, Uría Menéndez
- Sofia Mateus, CMS Rui Pena & Arnaut
- Verónica Romaní, Gómez-Acebo & Pombo
The awards recognised the achievements of the top 40 lawyers under 40 years of age working either within the Iberian legal market or for Iberian companies worldwide. More than 250 applications were received from candidates from law firms, companies and public institutions in 10 countries.
This year, the jury was diverse, very experienced and with a strong international outlook. It included general counsel from prestigious companies such as PepsiCo Western Europe, The Royal Bank of Scotland, Aeroportos de Portugal, NH Group, Portucel Soporcel Group, Pernod Ricard, Mediapro and Grupo Planeta. Other members of the jury included leading academics from top law schools such as ESADE Law School, IE Law School, ICADE, University Pompeu Fabra and Católica Global School of Law as well as international schools such as University of Miami School of Law and St Thomas University School of Law.
The jury also included a select group of leading international legal consultants as well as distinguished representatives from the Barcelona Bar Association and the Madrid Bar Association and the Law Society of England & Wales.
As in previous years, the awards ceremony was preceded by the Iberian Legal Summit. This is an interactive debate enabling general counsel from Iberian and international businesses to discuss their current challenges together with managing partners from law firms across Barcelona, Lisbon, Madrid as well as Europe, Africa and Latin America.
See more photos of the event here
Media coverage of the Iberian Lawyer 40 under Forty Awards